Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Feeling Helpless

One of the worst feelings as a mom is that of helplessness.  And this week, I have felt plenty of that!  Roman woke up on Wednesday whiny. I assumed he had a cold, but checked his temp anyways.  It was 98.7 so I wasn't really to worried.  We took Mia to school and headed home. The closer we got to home the whinier he got.  He walked in and went straight to the couch to lay down. Now, anyone who knows Roman, knows that is NOT how he works.  He is active, and ornery and all boy, all the time. So I knew something was wrong.  I took his temp again and it had spiked to 102.  And it has been all downhill since there.  This is my sad little boy on Wednesday morning before episode one of throwing up.

Wednesday consisted mostly of this:
Crying
cuddling
puking
laundry
motrin
sleep
and then repeat.  It was horrible.  He was so miserable and only wanted me. Thank GOD for my mom who ran an errand for me, picked Mia up from school, fed her lunch and got her all settled before leaving. As the night went on he was so tired and lethargic.  We knew it was bad when he fell asleep on the couch like this holding his new gun from sissy in an attempt to help him feel better.  

The night was long as he whined and tossed and turned all night.  This morning came and Josh took over Doctor duty!  These are the moments I am so thankful that I have a husband who never fusses over staying home with a sick kid.  We are all blessed that he realizes it is just as much his job as it is mine and he does it with grace, patience and love.  Roman ran a fever on and off all day on today.  I decided to make an appointment with the doctor just to make sure he was okay, even though we assumed it was the flu.  When I got home he was so tired and burning up, his skin was red and hot to the touch.  We decided to take his temp again, although Josh had just taken it 45 minutes before and it registered 100.  Josh took his temp, then again, then a third time and then handed me the thermometer to do it.  It was 105-106.  I freaked.  I didn't know what to do. I was helpless and scared.  I immediately called the Dr. who told me to strip him down, get him in a warm bath, push ice cold fluids and give a dose of tylenol.  It was horrible. Roman was screaming, He was cold, even though he was burning up. He drank the water but it made him puke. It was scary and I knew then that something was wrong.
I changed his jammies and packed him up for the doctors. We got there and the nurse immediately ran a pulse ox, his was only at 92.  A breathing treatment was started. We saw a new doctor and I was SO impressed.  He was kind, calm and wonderful with Roman, who was now being a little show off since the motrin had kicked in.  And then the results were in....You ready for it:
Double ear infection
Walking pneumonia
Drainage and a red throat and...
Pink eye!!

Poor baby no wonder who is miserable. So 3 meds later and breathing treatments every 4 hours, we are home and Roman is sleeping and we are praying he is better soon.
It is in moments like this that I realize how precious my kids are to me. It reminds me that there are parents out there who deal with scary moments far too often.  It is times like this, I am thankful for insurance, doctors, family and friends.  And in moments like this that even in the midst of exhaustion, I love that he wants me to hold him, cuddle him and sing him one more song.  



No comments: